Chronology of selective events given below:
* Aug 12, 1990: Haryana Inspector General of Police (IGP) S.P.S. Rathore, also the Haryana Lawn Tennis Association president, molests 14-year-old budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra in his office room.
* Aug 16, 1990- Complaint made to chief minister Hukam Singh and home secretary.
* Sep 3, 1990 - DGP R.R. Singh finds Rathore prima facie guilty, submits report. Recommends FIR in the matter. Later, new DGP R.K. Hooda and Home Secretary J.K. Duggal recommend departmental action and chargesheet against Rathore.
* April 6, 1992 - FIR against Ashu, Ruchika's brother, for car theft registered wide FIR No. 39.
* June 30, 1992 - Matter for registering FIR against Rathore taken up and Haryana legal remembracer R.K. Nehru recommended immediate registration of FIR against Rathore.
* Oct 23, 1993 - Ashu is illegally picked by the Haryana police and kept in illegal detention for almost two months. Eleven car theft cases were registered against him.
* Dec 28, 1993 - Unable to cope with harassment imposed on her and her family, Ruchika commits suicide by consuming poison.
* Dec 29, 1993 - Ashu is released one day after Ruchika's suicide.
* April 1994 - The charges framed against Rathore dropped during Bhajan Lal's tenure, months after Ruchika died.
* Nov 4, 1994 - Rathore promoted as Additional DGP by Bhajan Lal government.
* May 11, 1996 - Bansi Lal becomes Haryana chief minister. Remains chief minister till 23 July, 1999 during which period Rathore was promoted as DGP.
* Aug 21, 1998 - CBI probe is ordered in Ruchika molestation case by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
* July 23, 1999 - Om Parkash Chautala becomes chief minister.
* Sep 30, 1999 - Departmental enquiry exonerates Rathore in molestation case, he is promoted as DGP with effect from May 20, 1999.
* Oct 10, 1999 - Rathore made Haryana's DGP (state police chief) by the Chautala government.
* Nov 16, 2000 - CBI files chargesheet against Rathore in Ruchika molestation case.
* Dec 5, 2000 - Rathore removed as Haryana DGP. Sent on leave.
* March, 2002 - Rathore retires from service.
* Dec 21, 2009 - CBI special court convicts Rathore in the Ruchika molestation case. Sentenced to six months imprisonment and fine of Rs.1,000.